Friday, March 18, 2011

A little joy for the philanderer-ed

Finding out your significant other is secretly significantly occupied with his new significant other is not a good day.  If this has happened to you, causing a need for a little levity from someone else who understands, you need to read Mennonite in a Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen.  Rhoda is definitely of the sisterhood.  Let's begin with her entry into the land of the philanderer-ed.  One night Rhoda was laying asleep next to her husband of fifteen years.  The phone rang at midnight:  
The phone was on my side, and I sleepily picked it up.  
"Hello?"
"Uh, can I talk to Nick?"
"This is Bob?"
"Yeah."
There it was:  confirmation from the man of the hour.  The man from Gay.com.  In the flesh, ready to whack off, requesting the assistance of my husband.  I handed the phone silently to Nick, who had tensed beside me.  I rose, collected my tractable cat from the foot of the bed, grabbed my robe, and went downstairs to sob in the guest room.  That was the last time we ever retired together to the same bed."
Sorry to say, I do have a story to rival that one, although having read the book I'm not sure I can tell it as well as Rhoda.  I definitely recommend that you pick up a copy of the book, and enjoy with a grand smile. Get a preview by hitting the link above and see Rhoda telling how she went home to recover he aplomb.

As for my story... more on that soon :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh-oh -- link didn't post, but here it is. Watch Rhoda on youtube! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoprlAJN3mQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book was priceless! Thank God the woman has a sense of humor, because the situation is so absurd. Glad to see you back ... I've missed my daily fix!

    ReplyDelete